[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi 2

Jens Thiele karme at karme.de
Wed Feb 4 19:59:16 UTC 2015

Darren Jones <darren at dsj.me.uk> writes:

> Hi,
>
>  I Don’t normally post to the list, just usually read with interest,
> but that’s FUD, The raspberry PI foundation, was created to put small
> cheap computers in peoples hands to hack around with, built cheaply
> and as far as possible with open hardware, [...]

don't understand what "as far as possible" should mean in this context.
I don't see anything there that suggests it is or wants to be open
hardware (http://www.oshwa.org/definition/)? but maybe i am missing
something? or is it UD?

> do you really want to ignore such a popular

don't care about popular, otherwise I wouldn't use debian?

> hardware platfform, because you think ‘something; might happen, with
> no evidence to back up your claim, and contrary to the RPI foundations
> aims

you didn't ask me, but anyway:

yes, i for myself will try to ignore it as long as it isn't open
hardware and will continue to recommend boards listed at
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/TargetedHardware and are marked as
OSHW (especially I can recommend the OLinuXino A20 MICRO and LIME2)

This reminds me of the discussion a few weeks ago...
I really don't understand why one shouldn't recommend people to buy
OSHW? Those boards cost around 50-70€ - why waste your time with closed
hardware and support it that way then?

jens