[Freedombox-discuss] Raspberry Pi 2

Sikko sikko at gmx.net
Thu Feb 5 10:02:36 UTC 2015

Jens Thiele schreef op 05-02-15 om 09:55:
> Sikko <sikko at gmx.net> writes:

>> -Millions of Freedombox users on RPI's getting warned by the box once in
>> a while to make sure to upgrade to OSHW boards and why, while protecting
>> each other from being an easy target? If RPi is breached, it will still
>> be more difficult to capture "all".
>
> Sorry, but I don't see that happen.
What exactly don't you see happening? Millions of users for FreedomBox?

> I think this scenario is
> upside-down. People caring about privacy are interested in the
> freedombox project and either choose some hardware platform for that
> specific purpose or already have some hardware they would like to use
> for that.
So we agree that if they already have an RPi, they should be able to
gain freedoms the Freedombox can provide? Later on at the next upgrade
they could look into making a better choice of SBC.

> the point in that thread for me was:
> Please recommend OSHW if asked which hardware to buy to build a
> freedombox (no more, no less).

And my point was, if for whatever reason people are getting to
Freedombone, they should be able to use it on all the hardware that is
doable for us to support. You could help them out by adding an advisory
page on Plinth, explaining them about OSHW boards, and the plusses they
have. Here you are just preaching for the choir.

People WILL have RPi's, and if we do things right, maybe learn about
FreedomBox's existence. Would you want to turn them away, or help them
gain freedoms?