[Freedombox-discuss] Intel Compute Stick

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Jan 14 14:36:59 UTC 2015

Quoting Walter van Holst (2015-01-14 14:07:56)
> On 2015-01-14 13:17, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>> What is the take of the Freedom Box project on the boundary problem
>>> in open hardware? Especially the lower boundary? At what lower level
>>> would such a requirement stop being applied?
>>
>> Interesting question.  Seems you are knowledgeable in that area
>> (which I am not) - what is your own opinion?
>
> My take on it is rather pragmatic: this project aims to enhance
> digital freedom for the masses, if my understanding is correct.
> Reaching the masses implies that you cannot restrict yourself to
> obscure pieces of hardware, but at least temporarily must include
> hardware that is widely available if not already lying around in at
> least geeky households. Reaching the masses means that you have to go
> where they start to be.
>
> So it becomes more a question: how do we balance the importance of
> openness at the hardware level with the need to gain critical mass in
> adoption, now and in the foreseeable future. That means developing a
> few rules of thumb in the full knowledge that they have to be revised.
>
> For example:
>
> "We will not actively target platforms that require binary-only
> firmware blobs (which is a fairly objective lower boundary threshold),
> but we take exceptions to this rule for platforms that a) are widely
> available and b) have a clear and convincing roadmap for reducing if
> not eliminating those blobs or are otherwise likely to become more
> open in the foreseeable future."
>
> BTW, the Raspberry Pi would meet this threshold. The Banana Pi less so
> (unless you count the likelihood of strongarming them through their
> GPL-violations to be more open as meeting the requirements), but the
> UDOO and the Parallella probably would.
>
> "not actively targeting" meaning that contributions will be accepted,
> but by default will be treated as deprecated platforms.
>
> The above should be read as me thinking out loud on how you could
> define a lower boundary for hardware openness in light of the goals of
> the Freedom Box project. Also, my views on both the GPL and Free
> Software advocacy are sometimes considered as heresy. Caveat emptor.

Thanks for your input.  Quite relevant!

What I propose *now* is to raise the bar at a _board_ being OSHW
compliant.  That excludes both Raspberry Pi boards (even if future
boards from same vendor is likely to be OSHW compliant) and also Banana
Pi - but includes other Allwinner-based boards even if documentation of
the _chip_ is of substandard quality: Bar is at the _board_ being OSHW,
not the _components_ soldered onto the board.

What I propose *now* is to not raise the bar on components, beyond what
have already been done (requiring boot and normal operation without
to its need for binary blob to boot, but including boards with wifi
chips that require binary blobs as the wifi functionality is optional).