[Freedombox-discuss] Intel Compute Stick

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Thu Jan 15 06:05:01 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 14 January 2015 06:16 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
[...]
> That was my point too in my proposing to raise the bar now: I no longer
> see the benefit of tracking boards that are less ideal when we have
> adequate options that are more ideal.
>
> I am quite interested in Sunil elaborating, and others chiming in too,
> on reasons to keep tracking lesser ideal options.

I see FreedomBox as not just one hardware platform that everyone must
buy to get the benefits but also as a distribution (pure blend of
Debian) that can make use of existing hardware.  A lot of hardware that
people have already bought or will buy for reasons other than FreedomBox
will be capable of running FreedomBox.  We will make available the
benefits of FreedomBox project to a lot wider audience if we don't
insist they buy the devices we support and instead support the devices
they already have.

From this point of view, we should support as many devices as possible.
 Granted that we, as volunteers, don't want to waste our time on less
ideal options.  However, we should allow people who already have some
less ideal hardware to track and contribute support for that hardware.

--
Sunil