[Freedombox-discuss] Python 2/3?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Mar 13 01:09:26 UTC 2015

Quoting Nick Daly (2015-03-13 01:54:03)
> Hi folks, is there a preferred Python version on the FreedomBox right
> now?  It seems to me that both are available by default, so both are
> fine, but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything.

It is my impression that Debian generally has more libraries built only
for Python 2 than both 2+3 and only 3.  This might very well change for
Jessie+1 - I seem to recall the Python/Python3 maintainer explicitly
recommending that, but time will if shift will be that swift.

Unless you are in need of concrete libraries packaged only for Python3,
I recommend to use a) stick with Python2 for now, but also to b) package
as much libraries for both Python2 and Python3 as possible, to help ease
the shift.