[Freedombox-discuss] Ethereum plinth integration?

Markus Sabadello markus at projectdanube.org
Sun Nov 15 10:17:37 UTC 2015

Ethereum is a fascinating project, however, what exactly do you mean by
"it is likely to be an indispensable element of FreedomBox"?

Yes, your FreedomBox could be running an Ethereum node. And/or a Bitcoin
full node.
There's another project called Bitseed <https://bitseed.org/> which is
already doing that.

Unlike everything else on FreedomBox, running a blockchain full node
doesn't have any immediate benefit for an average user!
It's true and a quite cool thought that you're helping the project, and
you can be part of the blockchain network by doing this, yes.
OTOH, running a blockchain node on a tiny box is pretty much irrelevant
for the larger network, given the existence of huge mining pools.

Another option (either as an alternative to running a full node, or in
addition to running a full node), is to run blockchain-based apps on
FreedomBox.
E.g. you can have a Bitcoin wallet on the FreedomBox, or you can install
what Ethereum calls "Dapps".

+1 to adding Bitcoin and/or Ethereum to FreedomBox, just make sure you
understand what it means.

Markus