[Freedombox-discuss] PageKite relay service; risks, community and collaboration?

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Sun Nov 22 15:10:39 UTC 2015

On 11/22/2015 01:20 AM, Bjarni Runar Einarsson wrote:
[...]
> (Makers of embedded server products currently solve this exact
> issue by purchasing PageKite accounts in bulk and including the
> expected costs in the price of the hardware that is sold. This is
> a viable model, but I suspect it's not one that appeals strongly
> to this particular community...)

Many of us in the community are trying to encourage hardware vendors to
take up FreedomBox as commercial activity.  So, this model need not be
ruled out entirely.

[...]
> Are there folks on this list that would be interested in
> participating and providing resources to such an effort? I've got
> my hand tentatively raised... :-) I've also had the domain
> pagekite.org registered for ages, for exactly this use-case.

I am very happy see a serious consideration to this important aspect of
the project.  Something we have not been doing with our focus elsewhere.
 I agree with your thoughts on the risks and I see that at least a
partial solution is possible.  (More as reply to your other email)

I raise my hand too.  I can contribute code (and discussion :) ).
Although my contributions and interest will be from FreedomBox's point
of view and I am a part-time contributor like others here. (I contribute
code and other bits to FreedomBox currently, I maintain the PageKite
Debian package and I hooked up FreedomBox to PageKite initially).

--
Sunil