[Freedombox-discuss] Translation tools

Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen miki at mikini.dk
Thu Nov 26 14:18:27 UTC 2015

Hi Philippe & Petter.

On 2015-11-26 09:03, Philippe wrote:
> On 25/11/2015 15:19, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
>> Are there any good free alternatives, that is as easy to use for
>> non-technical users? And with acceptable usage terms?
> For information, i'll keep talking about that amoung the Debian
> community to check how others are dealing with this "problem"
> (being opened to non techies, at least more balanced.)

As a developer I've been using mostly direct .po edit and occasionally
web frontends as https://translations.launchpad.net/.
Lately I've also seen multiple projects using Transifex and have done
some minor work there. I have requested and started the Danish Plinth
translation on Transifex to try it out but applaud the quest for a
more free(dom) approach.

A quick search for web based translation tools gave these that seems
friendly to GNU GetText and friends:

* https://poeditor.com/ (service, backend closed source, gratis usage
for OSI license, github integration)
* https://crowdin.com/ (service, backend closed source, gratis usage
for OSI license (no commercially related products allowed), lots of
integrations)
* https://weblate.org (service or self-hosting, backend GPLv3
licensed, gratis usage for "free license", even more integrations)

Haven't looked at their terms of services but at a glance the GPL
licensed Weblate seems very intriguing also featurewise.

For video translation I've used Amara (https://www.amara.org) while
translating TED talks and even James Vasile's FreedomBox intro
(www.amara.org/videos/eWV6P7ELnrkt/).
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation
(http://pculture.org) which is a non-profit and has that "good feeling".

It strikes me as a bit strange though, that there is no "Debian way"
of providing a web based translation frontend. But I understand that
there are probably more urgent and important issues to be dealt with
under the wings of the FreedomBox project than accessible translation
tools.

As a newcomer I'm hanging around trying to find a spot to throw some
of my time at.

Hilsner
- --
    Mikkel