[Freedombox-discuss] owncloud

Melvin Carvalho melvincarvalho at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 21:26:18 UTC 2016

On 21 April 2016 at 10:27, Bob Mottram <bob at robotics.uk.to> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 07:40:16PM +0200, Dietmar wrote:
>
>>   I realized, owncloud is still in SID, there is just a dependency which
>> is
>>   unresolved. A bug has already been reported. owncloud was removed from
>>   TESTING though.
>>
>>   SeaFile looks nice, as an intermediate solution I even could live with
>> an
>>   FTP-Server.
>>

> An FTP server would be one way, although I think the security of FTP is
> questionable. Currently I'm using Syncthing, although that also isn't
> packaged for Debian.

Perhaps it would be interesting to consider the emerging work from Tim
Berners-Lee's team around Solid (Social Linked Data)

https://github.com/solid/solid

The idea is to create decentralized storage system (for documents and data)
which is both readable and writable, and layer on top of that social
functionality.  The reason being that once you can write data it is
important to be able to be able to choose who can read and who can write to
a resource.  This allows applications to be built on top of the data
storage part, which are starting to emerge.  ( see the talks section for
more info: https://github.com/solid/talks )

Currently there are implementations in go and node.  I think Markus
Sabadello might have been working on a debian package at one point.  Not
sure how far we got with that.

It's the one piece of software I'd like to run on my freedbox, at least.