[Freedombox-discuss] Internet Widgits Pty Ltd?

Olivier Mehani shtrom+freedombox at ssji.net
Thu Dec 22 09:23:45 UTC 2016

On Wed 21 Dec 2016 at 16:48:49 +0000, dgj+lists at systemli.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When setting up the XMPP client Jitsi, I get a message that the certificate
> is not trusted.
>
> I generated the TLS certificate using Let's Encrrypt within Plinth.
>
> When I view the certificate, I see the organization it is issued to and by
> is "Internet Widgits Pty Ltd." When I look up who "Internet Widgits Pty Ltd"
> is, I find, e.g., https://web.archive.org/web/20160513100430/http://www.herdprotect.com/signer-internet-widgits-pty-ltd-009dd8bc177abb2f73.aspx.
>
> "Internet Widgits Pty Ltd is a software publisher located in Some-State,
> Australia*. The publisher primarily developes software that can be
> classified as adware. Thre are 18 additional code signing certificates
> issued to this publisher."
>
> I have not accepted the certificate. Is it unsafe?

Kinda. This is generated from the default configuration of OpenSSL. It's
definitely not your Let's Encrypt certificate, so something must have
gone wrong there.

Probably nothing to worry about, just your box using a dummy cert, but
you'll need to fix it.

--
Olivier Mehani <shtrom+freedombox at ssji.net>
PGP fingerprint: 4435 CF6A 7C8D DD9B E2DE  F5F9 F012 A6E2 98C6 6655