[Freedombox-discuss] Setting up a FreedomBox on an apu1d4. Problem with "network".

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sat Feb 13 03:10:13 UTC 2016

I just installed the latest freedombox image on a 4GB SD card:

dd bs=1M if=freedombox-unstable-free_2015-12-13_all-amd64.img of=/dev/sde conv=fdatasync
dd: writing `/dev/sde': No space left on device
3797+0 records in
3796+0 records out
3980394496 bytes (4.0 GB) copied, 180.22 s, 22.1 MB/s

I put the SD card in the slot and it seems to have booted up fine.  For now
the freedombox is just connected to a standalone computer via the center
ethernet port.  I can access it at 10.42.0.1 after I configured the computer
like this:

ifconfig eth0 10.42.0.8 netmask 255.255.255.0

>From the browser, I got all the warnings about certificates as explained
here: https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual and then I was told that
the initial set up was done and I had 2 choices (buttons): network and
applications.  I selected network and it showed that only one interface
was connected: FreedomBox LAN enp2s0.  When I clicked on it, to see if I
could change the IP address (I run static IP addresses in my local
network - 192.168.x.x) I got this:

500
This is an internal error and not something you caused or can fix.  Please
report the error on the bug tracker so we can fix it.

Is what I'm trying to do possible?  I would like to change the IP address
of the freedombox to 192.168.x.x so it fits into my internal network.  For
the "outside" or WAN ethernet port I will have a 4-port router to which are
connected 2 Ubiquiti bullet 2 (HP and M2 HP) in station mode.  This setup
was working very nicely (without the freedombox) when there was wifi
available, which is not the case now.  So, as a backup I would like to use
a tethered cell phone in a usb port on the apu1d4/freedombox.  Since ths
tethered phone acts like a modem (which works great although quite slowly,
with ppp when connected directly to a computer) it would be really nice
if I could just plug it in into the freedombox and have internet access
when the 2 ubiquitis don't find an AP.

As it is, since I can't even change the internal IP address, I can't
integrate the freedombox into my network, so further testing and
configuration are not possible at this time, it looks like.

Is there anything else I can do?