[Freedombox-discuss] Beaglebone Black failed to booting up by using u-boot (2016-01)

Saúl Ibarra Corretgé saghul at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 08:23:04 UTC 2016

Hi Sunil,

> I just investigated a bit (without actually having a BBB to do
> hands-on).  I have two possible workarounds:
>
> 1) Mount the SD card on a machine and rename away the boot.scr file.
> Try to boot.
>
> 2) Press the S2 switch and reboot the BBB (switch must be pressed while
> booting).  Try this also with 1).
>
> Here is what I found:
>
> - You are booting from on-board eMMC first.  There the u-boot version is
> "U-Boot 2016.01-00001-g4eb802e (Jan 13 2016 - 11:14:31 -0600)".  This is
> not be found on FreedomBox/Debian.  Pressing the S2 switch will change
> the boot order and boot from MMC directly.
>
> - This u-boot is trying to load boot script from the MMC (correctly).
>
> - boot.scr file has been created by the flash-kernel script after
> upgrade.  FreedomBox's usual way of booting is from uEnv.txt file which
> is still there.  I don't see any problem with the boot.scr file but in
> case this the problem, removing the file should make u-boot load the
> uEnv.txt.
>
> - I have noticed that after the package upgrade process, u-boot which on
> SD card is intact.  So, pressing S2 switch to make it boot from here.
>
> Let me know how it goes.  Further logs will be immensely helpful.
>
> Issue tracker for this bug:
> https://github.com/freedombox/freedom-maker/issues/49

I wiped my EMMC, so that shouldn't be a problem. Right now my FBX seems
to have a mixture of files in /boot. uEnv.txt, uImage and uInitrd point
to the 4.1 kernel I started with:

-----
saghul at fbx:~$ file /boot/uImage
/boot/uImage: u-boot legacy uImage, Debian kernel 4.1.0-1-armmp,
Linux/ARM, OS Kernel Image (Not compressed), 3425525 bytes, Thu Aug  6
19:20:00 2015, Load Address: 0x80200000, Entry Point: 0x80200000, Header
CRC: 0xF0B112C1, Data CRC: 0xF312F790
saghul at fbx:~$ file /boot/uInitrd
/boot/uInitrd: u-boot legacy uImage, Debian ramdisk 4.1.0-1-armmp,
Linux/ARM, RAMDisk Image (gzip), 13405285 bytes, Thu Aug  6 19:20:00
2015, Load Address: 0x81000000, Entry Point: 0x81000000, Header CRC:
0x950057C4, Data CRC: 0xE37EEF58
saghul at fbx:~$ head /boot/uEnv.txt
mmcroot=/dev/mmcblk0p2 ro
mmcrootfstype=btrfs rootwait fixrtc
mmcrootflags=subvol=@

console=ttyO0,115200n8

kernel_file=vmlinuz-4.1.0-1-armmp
initrd_file=initrd.img-4.1.0-1-armmp
------

But boot.scr points to the 4.3 kernel (I guess this was updated by
flash-kernel).

What logs can I fetch to help debug this further? Thanks in advance,

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
bettercallsaghul.com