[Freedombox-discuss] Live Demonstration Infrastructure

J.D. Bean jdbean at softwarefreedom.org
Thu Feb 25 15:56:37 UTC 2016

Adrian that sounds like an interesting possibility but perhaps a little
more heavy-weight than the sort of low-barrier to entry live tour that I
had been imagining. What Sunil suggests sounds to me like the kind of
experience that might have a high chance of capturing the further
interest of casual visitors.

The kind of firewalled web-only experience that Sunil proposes would
actually solve a number of the challenges that I was thinking might be
major obstacles to setting up some public demo. As far as I'm concerned
a few pre-configured user accounts and some prepopulated data in
owncloud would be great. I don't think it is any problem at all to
provide visitors with access to the various administrative configuration
pages for non-web-based services that they can't actually access.
Putting myself in the shoes of a potential user I think seeing how easy
something like openvpn is to set up in plinth would be more than enough
to peak my interest.

Sunil, is there any reason that you feel 15 minutes is the idea reset
rate? If I'm understanding the setup you envision correctly a demo
instance would refresh without warning every 15 minutes? I would think
that many users in the target audience for this demo would attribute a
reset of the demo instance they were using to instability in Freedombox.
Furthermore, I feel like the quality of Freedombox is to the point that
it is probably reasonable to expect that the median use time will be 15
minutes or even greater which suggests that a large number of potential
users would experience one of these resets while using the demo. Would
something like an hour be too long do you think?

- J.D.

J.D. Bean, Esq.
Counsel
Software Freedom Law Center
Tel: 212-461-1918  |  1995 Broadway, 17th Floor
Fax: 212-580-0898  |  New York, NY 10023
GPG: 353762FB      |  www.softwarefreedom.org