[Freedombox-discuss] fbx 0.7 dreamplug install report

Daniel Gnoutcheff gnoutchd at softwarefreedom.org
Fri Jan 22 21:49:09 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I recently had occasion to see if FreedomBox still works on Dreamplugs.
 It mostly does, at least once I upgrade u-boot.

At minimum, I can confirm that the freedombox 0.7 image [1] works with
the u-boot dreamplug image shipped in the jessie u-boot package [2].

The procedure at [3] was mostly sufficient, though I also found that I
needed to restore the ethernet MAC addresses after reflashing.
(Otherwise, they're both 00:00:00:00:00.)

  setenv ethaddr aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:f0
  setenv eth1addr aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:f1
  saveenv
  (restart)

(Use 'printenv' before reflashing to get the correct addresses.)

The built-in WiFi chip is supported, but the driver currently does not
support AP mode (according to the output of 'iw list').  There is a
NetworkManager connection profile for this device intended to make an AP
out of it, but it does not appear to be eligible for activation,
presumably because AP mode isn't actually supported.

Still, I'm able to reach plinth (https://freedombox.local/) on a laptop
connected to the dreamplug's "outer" (closest to the edge) ethernet port.

On a lark, I installed OpenVPN.  Generating 4096-bit keys took about
seventeen and a half hours (!) on this device.  As a side effect,  I
stumbled upon plinth issue #381 [4] on the way, which I cleared with
'sudo systemctl restart plinth' over SSH.

HTH!

Have a good one,
Daniel Gnoutcheff

[1]