[Freedombox-discuss] Wiki: New CC Licence on June 13th

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Tue May 31 17:46:44 UTC 2016

Quoting Sunil Mohan Adapa (2016-05-31 19:21:56)
> On 05/31/2016 10:35 PM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> [...]
>> Uhm, I do not like the "applies to all pages old and new" part of
>> above: Only new pages makes sense: I believe the only possible ways
>> to change license is for each wiki page either
>>
>>  a) _all_ page authors agree on a license (mojority is not enough)
>>  b) page is removed (and first author of replacement page license
>>     that)
>>
>> The only discussion I can imagine sensibly leading to imposing
>> license on all _old_ content is a discussion where _all_ copyright
>> holders were present and _all_ agreed unanimously to relicense.  If
>> that was the case, I see no need for this kind of announcement, so am
>> puzzled...
>>

> The idea is that we encourage as many people as possible to agree to
> the new license.  Contacting everyone is not going to be possible, we
> do our best to reach all contributors.  We remove content from people
> who object.  I have been advised that this is sufficient.

Described like that the process makes good sense to me.

Summarizing as "applies to all pages old and new" is misleading IMO, as
that indicates no action needs taking.

I'd instead summarize as "any page not relicensed by DD.MM.YYYY will be
moved to FreedomBox/Attic" or whatever you plan to do with it - to help
copyright holders a) realize that they do need to actively relicense
themselves and b) know fate of pages if reading the message too late.