[Freedombox-discuss] Re-SOLVED: Unattended updates not running

znoteer at hailmail.net znoteer at hailmail.net
Wed Oct 5 22:43:53 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016, at 14:50, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [znoteer at hailmail.net]
> > This file belongs to apt.  However, it is not part of the .deb for
> > version 1.3, which I am running.  A guy on #debian, also running apt
> > 1.3, confirmed that /etc/cron.daily/apt wasn't present on his system.
>
> I suspect the source is this change in apt 1.2.10:
>
>   * Use systemd.timer instead of a cron job (Closes: #600262, #709675,
>   #663290)
>     (LP: #246381, #727685)

Nice find.  So it looks like I'm back to the drawing board.

> James pointed this out in his email 2016-09-13.  I thus suspect there is
> a problem with the systemd timer instead.  Apparently the cron file
> should no longer be used.

Oops!  I overlooked that post.  Sorry James.

>   root at freedombox:~# systemctl status apt-daily.service
>   * apt-daily.service - Daily apt activities
>      Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/apt-daily.service; static;
>      vendor preset: enabled)
>      Active: inactive (dead) since to. 2016-09-22 17:03:30 UTC; 1 weeks 6
>      days ago
>        Docs: man:apt(8)
>    Main PID: 24188 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Status is showing "inactive (dead)" for me too, except that I didn't
have process ID.  I ran systemctl start apt-daily.service.  After that,
status showed a PID.  I'll wait 24 hrs to see if that triggers an update
tomorrow at 18:00.

  znoteer at hailmail.net

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail