[Freedombox-discuss] RPi resize SDcard storage

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Mon Apr 3 16:25:49 UTC 2017

On 03/03/2017 09:41 PM, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Pierre L.]
>> Agree too!
>> But...!
>> I usually play with Raspbian on my RPies, and they have a script
>> launched at 1st boot to resize the ext4 partition to full.
>> It's also possible to launch by hand the raspi-config menu, to have this
>> script available for future.
>
> Extending btrfs to fill the disk sound like a nice option to have behind
> the System configuration -> Disk meny option (aka /plinth/sys/disks/).
> What would it take ot get it?  At the moment on my FreedomBox, I only
> get the list of mounted partitions and their sizes and fill level.  A
> simple 'extend to fill disk' button would be nice.

We do have this option in "System configuration -> Disk".  This option
only shows up when there is free space after the root partition into
which it can expand.

However, due to a bug in parted it was not working[1].  I have submitted
patches to fix this and a workaround in Plinth[2].  Further, to improve
the user experience, I have raised two bugs (good for beginners to
pickup) to resize the disk during first boot[3] and to show a disabled
option even when the option is not applicable[4].

Links:

1) https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=24215

2) https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/pull/783

3) https://github.com/freedombox/Plinth/issues/784