[Freedombox-discuss] Freedombox and decentralized search

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Sun Apr 30 13:49:42 UTC 2017

Quoting Nico Rikken (2017-04-30 11:25:49)
> I already knew about YaCy for distributed search, but not Searchx.
> Apparently there is a fundamental difference between the two. Searchx
> is a metasearch engine, relying on other search engines to do the heavy
> lifting, but caching and sharing the results between similar instances.
> YaCy is doing its own scraping.
> The lower performance requirements, and the Python/JS origin, indeed
> makes it an interesting project for FreedomBox.

Interesting for which use case?

Depending on its design, Searchx may _boost_ the ability for e.g. Google
to track search patterns of the FreedomBox owner, compared to other
approaches (e.g. compare the difference of accessing Google via Tor and
accessing Google/Bing/whatever fewer times each but _not_ bia Tor).