[Freedombox-discuss] Does the software part of Freedombox be used without maintenance?
Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
GNUtoo at no-log.org
Sun Aug 20 15:38:31 UTC 2017
I was told by someone involved in Debian, that Debian installations with
automatic upgrades enabled would have very low probability of having
things broken providing that:
- Debian stable is used
- No external repositories are used
However take that with a grain of salt because I'm not a Debian expert,
so I could have misunderstood something.
As I understand, Freedombox is Debian pure blend (everything is in
If we forget about hardware issues:
- Is the software supposed to be robust enough to be used without
- Can technical users shoot themselves in the foot by altering
configurations like /etc/ssh/sshd (for instance to disable password
based logins). Here I assume that such users are capable enough to
do modifications that do work, and test them, and I am rather
wondering if, with the automatic upgrades it's supposed not to break.
Hardware wise microSD are not that reliable, but I don't see it as
something that cannot be coped with, especially when:
- Many of the supported hardware can boot from SPI flash, NAND, or
eMMC, which are more reliable.
- In the worst case scenario, only the bootloader needs to reside on
"Ultimately, however, every card I’ve encountered eventually corrupts
the filesystem after enough cycles, it’s just a matter of how
long." from: http://www.bunniestudios.com/blog/?p=2297
- The APU.1D and APU.1D4 boot by default from the SPI flash and can
handle SATA HDD/SSD from there.
- The BeagleBone black has an eMMC
- According to https://linux-sunxi.org, The Cubieboard2,
Cubieboard3/Cubietruck, and pcDunino3 all have NAND, so they can
most probably boot from it by default, if no microSD is setup for
- The OLinuXino A20 LIME, LIME2, MICRO can be bought with optional
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 833 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the Freedombox-discuss