[Freedombox-discuss] Plinth v0.13.1 released

Elena ``of Valhalla'' Grandi valhalla-d at trueelena.org
Thu Jan 26 08:58:14 UTC 2017

On 2017-01-25 at 23:34:46 +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [James Valleroy]
> > - Split Chat Server (XMPP) app into Chat Server (ejabberd) and Chat
> > Client (jsxc).
>
> Given a few recent blog posts[1,2,3], I wonder if perhaps it make sense
> to replace ejabberd with prosody.  Anyone know more?

>  [1] http://current.workingdirectory.net/posts/2017/encrypted-mucs/
>  [2] http://www.enricozini.org/blog/2017/debian/modern-and-secure-instant-messaging
>  [3] http://social.gl-como.it/display/3e3ce0df935878c72066160183048976

As one of the people involved in posts 2 and 3: I choose prosody
because it was recommended by the RTC QuickStart Guide, but a friend of
mine told me that he was going to configure his ejabberd with the same
extensions and apparently succeeded.

> I do not know much
> about XMPP myself.  I've been testing the xmpp server on debian.org the
> last few days, and the amount of spam messages worries me.  Will a
> FreedomBox XMPP server have the same problem?

>From what I've read around, apparently the biggest spam problems comes
when the xmpp address is also valid as email: not doing that is less
convenient, but can work as a temporary workaround.

For a solution, however, a couple of the extensions mentioned above are
there so that users can do their own spam filtering, which afaik is what
works best right now; on the subject you can see also

https://journal.valeriansaliou.name/announcing-providence-a-spam-filter-for-xmpp/

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''