[Freedombox-discuss] Contributing to FreedomBox

Leni Kadali Mutungi lenikmutungi at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 05:12:38 UTC 2017

Hello all.

I am interested in contributing to FreedomBox.

At the moment I use Debian-Testing, I have some experience using the
command-line (mostly troubleshooting why something hasn't worked or
editing config files and the like). I was told that the IRC channel is
only casually used and that I'd be more likely to get more detail out
of sending my queries to the mailing list. My interests so far are
troubleshooting stuff in general; breaking and trying to find out why
it broke. Research on why something works one way and not the other.
I'm happy to write code to fix stuff, but only where necessary. I
would say I would write code *only* to fix a problem. Not really
because I had some cool, revolutionary idea.

I was particularly interested in following these projects:

* Implement a New UI for FreedomBox:
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2017/Projects/Implement%20New%20User%20Interface%20for%20FreedomBox

* Add a Text Editor for Plinth to edit configuration files:
https://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2017/Projects/Add%20a%20Text%20Editor%20for%20Plinth%20to%20edit%20configuration%20files

What technologies should I know and what should I expect? Any and all
detail that you can provide outside the scope of my questions is
welcome.

- Warm regards
Leni Kadali Mutungi