[Freedombox-discuss] Outreachy 15 Participation

Joseph Nuthalapati njoseph at thoughtworks.com
Mon Sep 11 06:32:48 UTC 2017

Hi Bhavya Lahari,

I'm glad to know that you chose FreedomBox plinth over all the other
python/django
projects out there.

Let me start by setting the context of the project.

FreedomBox is an effort to replace cloud services that mine our data and
violate
our privacy with a simple device that can host all the services that an
individual/family or a community might need. As part of this vision, we
focus on
keeping the system administration or requirement of technical knowledge to a
minimum. FreedomBox should ideally be as easy to use as any other household
electronic appliance, like a set-top box, a router or a washing machine.

Though a lot of the effort goes into eliminating the need for system
administration, we still try not to disappoint the advanced users. We
have an
advanced system administration tool called Cockpit which will be
integrated into
FreedomBox soon. Apart from all the monitoring, settings and toggle
buttons that
it has, it also features a full fledged terminal. Any user that wants to
edit
configuration files can do so from the terminal. Here, I'm making an
assumption
that the users know how to use command-line text editing tools, which I
think is
a reasonable assumption, as any user that edits configuration files
should be
able to use a command-line text editor. Well, the point I'm trying to
make here
is that a web based text editor doesn't provide much value from a Plinth
context. Even if we believed that we need it, we'll probably use an existing
free software solution instead of building one from scratch.

We have a lot of python/django work in Plinth and a lot of other stuff
too from
which you can learn a lot. I'm sure we can find some good feature for
you that
satisfies both FreedomBox's requirements as well as the outreachy
program's (of
which I don't know much about).

Feel free to drop me an email if you want to meet me in person and
discuss about
this.

--
Joseph Nuthalapati