[Freedombox-discuss] Hosting emails at home

Dashamir Hoxha dashohoxha at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 23:23:07 BST 2018

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018 at 6:58 PM, Serge E. Hallyn <serge at hallyn.com> wrote:

> I use a container on a server running at hetzner.de.  No issues.

Awesome! This is even cheaper that gCloud (unless I am missing something).

I can understand the sentiment that providing email support is not
> high priority, but personally I feel that it's actually very important.

Nobody says that it is not important, but let me quote alberto fuentes:
"Mail is a complex beast for non sysadmins." I have tried to build
a mailserver for my company (almost 10 years ago) so I know what
this means. Nowadays there may be scripts to automate everything
about installing and configuring a mailserver, but there are some
things that cannot be automated. If you don't do these, then your
emails will end up being classified as spam everywhere, so your
mailserver will basically be useless.

If FreedomBox includes Mailpile (https://www.mailpile.is/) this should be
sufficient for most of the users. Actually I am surprised that Mailpile
is not yet supported by FreedomBox.

Born out of a belief that everyone deserves privacy and respect, Mailpile
aims to provide an answer to the question: *"How can I protect my privacy
online?"*

Dashamir