[Freedombox-discuss] How to manually enter log and drop everything from a local IP?

A. F. Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Sat Oct 13 19:16:46 BST 2018

I'm not too proficient in firewall rules.  I've noticed that FreedomBox
does some quite fancy footwork with the firewall and I'm hesitant to mess
with it.

What I would like to do is to temporarily add a few rules to block and log
everything from one internal address: the TV. (static IP in 192.168.x.y)

I don't trust what today's smart TVs might be up to.  There have been
reports of "calling home" and sending all kinds of data, so I want to be
sure that my particular one doesn't send anything out, thus the log and
drop.  Only if I'm satisfied that nothing untoward is going on will I
remove these rules and use my smart tv as it was intended to be used.
As of now, the ethernet cable is not plugged in.

If I find out that some data are being sent out unrelated to what I want
to see, I'll then have to refine the rules to block just that.

So, how can I add "log and drop everything that comes from the TV" without
messing up the normal functioning of the FreedomBox firewall?

Thanks.

Augustine