[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox at DebConf

Danny Haidar haidar at freedomboxfoundation.org
Wed Aug 7 19:48:55 BST 2019

Hi everyone,

By now, many of you have heard that I represented the FreedomBox
Foundation at DebConf in Brazil last month. Though I shared updates
about this on the forum/Mastodon/Twitter/a progress call, I haven't yet
shared this news on the mailing list:

I had a very positive experience at DebConf this year, and FreedomBox
got a lot of attention throughout the week. Not including my session, I
saw that FreedomBox was mentioned in 3 sessions (those were just the
sessions I attended--in watching videos, I've already learned that the
total number is higher). I was excited to see that the Debian community
remains very invested in FreedomBox.

In my conversations with fellow DebConf attendees, I found that the
Debian community is proud of FreedomBox and views it as one of Debian’s
great achievements. Even though plenty of people acknowledged
FreedomBox’s limitations, the Debian community seemed proud that a
Debian pure blend could be so successful. In particular, some people
viewed the news that Olimex sells "Pioneer Edition FreedomBox kits" as
proof that pure blends can indeed be viable software projects. The
rumors about vaporware are over: FreedomBox is recognized as a
successful project.

The FreedomBox Foundation published a news item last week about DebConf
with a summary of my experiences. Check it out here:
https://freedomboxfoundation.org/news/debconf_2019/

Thanks to the Debian community for such an enjoyable week!

Best,

Danny

--
Danny Haidar*
Vice-President for Product & Development

* Not admitted to practice law in any jurisdiction.
Nothing in this email constitutes legal advice.
I cannot establish any attorney-client relationships.