[Freedombox-discuss] trivial "app" for Freedombox

Mikkel Kirkgaard Nielsen miki at mikini.dk
Wed Feb 13 23:18:41 GMT 2019

On 13/02/2019 12.27, Joseph Nuthalapati wrote:
> This is pretty much an undocumented Easter egg at this point (which we
> should fix soon).

The use of Apache's mod_userdir is briefly mentioned as replicated below
in the 0.9.4 release notes[1], but otherwise undocumented;

"Added the "userdir" module for the Apache web server. This allows users
in the "admin" group to create a folder called "public_html" under their
home folder, and to publicly share files placed in this folder."

The official Apache docs detail how the module behaves[2] and can be set
up[3] if you are already dabbling in the fine art of web server
configuration. The Debian wiki[4] also has some hints on how to use it.

For the benefit of mortals, I see Sunil has opened issue #1505[5] on
plinth for adding a new application meant for explaining (maybe also
configuring parts of?) the features exposed by this module in the plinth
UI and documentation of its use in a similar section of the manual.

I've added a draft page to the manual for the latter[6].

-- Mikkel

[1]
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual#FreedomBox.2FReleaseNotes.Version_0.9.4_.282016-06-24.29
[2] https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/howto/public_html.html