[Freedombox-discuss] The Status of PHP

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Fri Jan 4 19:49:52 GMT 2019

Quoting Danny Haidar (2019-01-04 19:35:18)
> An important subject was discussed in the IRC channel today, and I
> want to bring it to the attention of the community.

Thanks for forwarding, Danny!

> Jonas brought up a broader criticism of software written in PHP. Here
> it is in brief: software written in PHP cannot be reliably run without
> supervision. Since FreedomBox is designed to be a server system that
> requires no administration, PHP's occasional requirement of
> supervision conflicts with our goal of self-administration.

Unfortunately your short quote omitted a detail important to me:

Above is a subjective opinion that I happen to agree with, not fact.

[...]
> Jonas shared some helpful resources to explain the criticism:
>
> https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/643/why-do-people-say-that-php-is-inherently-insecure
>
> https://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

...as both above resources also point out, in different ways.

Thanks again for sharing this (possible) issue with this mailinginglist,
Danny.