[Freedombox-discuss] add existing users to Freedombox

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Tue Jan 29 20:07:23 GMT 2019

On 27/01/19 1:49 am, Gregor Horvath wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed Freedombox on top of a existing Debian Stretch installation
> with apt-get.
>
> The users that were already present in /etc/passwd from the Debian
> install are not shown in plinth users configuration.

Currently, we are showing users created into plinth/LDAP here.

> When I try to add such a user with the plinth web interface I get the
> error "Username is taken or reserved".

Another user with the same name can't be created because the newly
created user also goes into LDAP and we would like to avoid confusion
with system users.

> How can I add such users to Freedombox?

The only answer I can think of is to backup and remove existing users
and add them through FreedomBox thus creating LDAP entries for them.
Then you can restore back their data.

Note that non-admin users can't login via console/SSH as long as you
have option 'restrict console logins' (recommended) set in Security
section of FreedomBox. But these users can use FreedomBox services
according to group permissions set for them.

Idea to improve are welcome.

--
Sunil