[Freedombox-discuss] Unable to get certificate

Joseph Nuthalapati njoseph at riseup.net
Mon May 6 12:43:26 BST 2019

In order to be able to get a certificate, you need to do the following:

1. DMZ or port forwarding of https (port 443) traffic on your router.
Verify this works before setting up DynamicDNS account.
2. Verify if 74.72.120.142 is your IP address. If you did port
forwarding correctly, visiting https://74.72.120.142/plinth should take
you to your FreedomBox web interface.
3. GnuDIP sees 74.72.120.142 as the IP address of the computer you're
trying to access it from. From the perspective of an external server,
your FreedomBox and PC will appear to have the same IP address if they
are in the same network.
4. After GnuDIP setup, check that accessing
https://yourname.freedombox.rocks takes you to your FreedomBox web
interface (with a certificate warning in your browser)
5. In System -> Configuration, set yourname.freedombox.rocks as the
domain name.
6. Go to Let's Encrypt and obtain a certificate for the domain.

You don't need the Java applets. It's not a good idea to enable Java in
your browser from a security standpoint. Maybe the GnuDIP web
application used by gnudip.datasystems24.net is very old. Most modern
browsers don't allow Java applets.