[Freedombox-discuss] Patch: Freedom-Maker support for Lamobo R1

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Thu May 30 22:13:29 BST 2019

On 28/05/19 3:53 pm, Florian Boor wrote:
[...]
>> - Build the image, ensure that there not error during the build.
>
> Works both for buster and unstable without errors. I built an up to date
> unstable image for testing.

Thank you for the test reports.

> Building multiple times I wonder if it would be hard to add support for caching
> packages locally.

You can do local package caching by having a local mirror like
apt-cacher-ng (simply installing it is usually sufficient and no
configuration is needed) and then using the freedom-maker option
"--build-mirror=http://localhost:3142/debian".

>> - Boot the image, ensure that there no errors during the boot process
>> (boot log and journal).
>
> Kernel messages and system journal attached. The hostname I set at the
> freedom-maker command line got applied, the logs look more or les ok to me... of
> course there are quite some error from the wireless interface without firmware.

Logs look okay to me too.

> It came up without trouble and got an IP through DHCP using the lan1 interface.
>> - Reach FreedomBox web interface, complete the wizard and install at
>> least one app.
>
> Works pretty well using Firefox 66 for the test. It even detected my language
> setting. I installed several apps... no problems so far. Cockpit I did not
> manage to get to work.

Good to know. Cockpit will work when a proper domain is configured and
the URL used to access it is with that domain. We need to update the
documentation for that.

>> - Recently and optionally, we starting doing network bandwidth test
>> using iperf3 -c <server> and iperf3 -c <server> -R (server is started
>> with iperf3 -s) and ensure that we have usable network bandwidth.
>
> [ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bitrate         Retr
> [  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  65.4 MBytes  54.9 Mbits/sec  344             sender
> [  5]   0.00-10.00  sec  65.4 MBytes  54.8 Mbits/sec                  receiver
>
> This is with an old 100MBit switch... I'll repeat with a better one later.

Looks good enough. I sometimes connect the board directly to my work
laptop after setting the laptop ethernet in "Shared" mode with
NetworkManager.

>> - Special check for Lamobo R1, please check that WAN port are configured
>> as firewall zone: external and LAN ports are configured as firewall
>> zone: internal. This can be checked in System -> Networks
>
> Not quite... all ports are configured as internal apart from eth0 which gets
> configured as external but gets configured with the IP retrieved via lan1. This
> does not look correct. If I remember correctly it was working with buster....
> need to check again later.

FreedomBox's current logic for boards with multiple interfaces is to
sort the network interfaces alphabetically and assign the first to
external zone and remaining to internal zone. This works for many
situations where the LAN/WAN interfaces are designated and we need an
reliable way to assign and document that. In this case, however, we may
need something else. R1 seems to have, from the logs, eth0, lan1, lan2,
lan3, lan4, wan and wlx*.

Could you check up on which of the interfaces are WAN and LAN?

We can document the current behavior in the manual and advice users to
manually fix the configuration after initial setup. We can also device a
plan for setting things up correctly.

[...]

I merged your patch into freedom-maker. We can make changes to the CI
for daily auto builds and website for image download along with Pine64
LTS which is pending. Meanwhile, we need to document Lamobo R1 in the
Manual with above quirks using the Wiki.

Thanks,

--
Sunil