[Freedombox-discuss] FreedomBox Summit 2019

Danny Haidar haidar at freedomboxfoundation.org
Thu Oct 24 23:12:39 BST 2019

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to announce the second consecutive FreedomBox Summit! It is
scheduled for Friday, November 15th, 2019 in New York City. Invited
members of the FreedomBox Core Team will join the FreedomBox
Foundation's staff for a full day of discussions about our progress
since last year's Summit and our plans for the year ahead.

Please read the full details here:
https://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/news/summit_2019/

=== Why This Matters ===

Last year, our Summit paved the way for a memorably successful 2019.
Using the groundwork we laid in 2018's Summit, we launched a product
with Olimex, introduced support for stable-backports in FreedomBox with
the launch of Debian Buster, and added support for more hardware models,
among other things. We made a plan for the year, and we executed much of
it with success. I therefore view the Summit as an important opportunity
for everyone to step up and shape the next year of our project.

=== How To Participate ===

Though only the Core Team members will attend the Summit in person, we
want the entire FreedomBox community members to get involved. There are
two ways for you to participate:

1. Virtual Q&A: Just like last year, we have dedicated Session II to a
virtual Q&A with all interested FreedomBox community members. I strongly
encourage FreedomBox community members to join the conference call
during Session II. This virtual Q&A session will take place on Friday,
November 15 at 20:00 UTC - 21:00 UTC (one hour) on the FreedomBox
Foundation's Mumble server. It will be a great opportunity to have your
voice heard and contribute to our agenda for the next year. You will
also be able to speak directly with Foundation President Eben Moglen and
the rest of the core team.

2. Contribute items to the agenda: we want community members to have
their voices heard. Just like last year, we will assemble a discussion
agenda with YOUR suggestions. You can suggest agenda items either via
email (in this thread or to me privately) OR you can post them to our
forum topic:
https://discuss.freedombox.org/t/request-for-comments-agenda-items-for-2019-summit/452

Prompt: In short, our agenda should reflect the most important issues
facing the FreedomBox project as we continue to improve our UI, attract
new users, and expand our hardware sales. What do you think are the most
important challenges facing the FreedomBox project? What should our
development priorities be for the upcoming year? We want FreedomBox to
become a mainstream consumer privacy solution. What do you think we need
to do before we get to that point?

I look forward to seeing your ideas!

We'll also be discussing the Summit on this Sunday's progress call.

Best,

Danny

--
Danny Haidar*
Vice-President for Product & Development

* Not admitted to practice law in any jurisdiction.
Nothing in this email constitutes legal advice.
I cannot establish any attorney-client relationships.