[Freedombox-discuss] FOLLOWUP: the same 4 packages still kept back after latest automatic upgrade.

James Valleroy jvalleroy at mailbox.org
Wed Apr 15 15:02:26 BST 2020

On 4/15/20 8:50 AM, A. F. Cano wrote:
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>>   libmailutils5 python-django-common

It should be ok to remove these, they are no longer needed.

In particular, if it doesn't threaten to remove freedombox or one of the installed applications or services, then it is ok to remove them.

This raises some open points for FreedomBox development:
1) Can we tell unattended-upgrades that it is ok to remove these packages, and proceed with the upgrade?
2) If not, can we detect this situation, confirm that the packages are safe to be removed, and remove them?

-

By the way, you may want to consider if you can move to stable instead of testing. Then this situation would not happen, at least not until upgrading to a new stable release.

It's not possible to downgrade from testing to stable, but you could try using the Backups module to export data for all apps that you are using. Then, using a stable system on a different SD card, you can restore all data from the backup.

--
James