[Freedombox-discuss] Wirelessly connecting two FreedomBox machines

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Apr 29 16:57:09 BST 2020

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 04:35:22PM +0200, Marko Dimjašević via Freedombox-discuss wrote:
> Dear FreedomBoxers,

Welcome

> I was wondering if it was possible to set up two FreedomBox machines in
> such a way that they form a wireless network and for both of them to
> provide access to other devices. Here is a setup that I have and my
> remaining plans.
>
> On the first machine I installed FreedomBox 20.7. It has 3 Ethernet
> interfaces and one wireless interface. Via its USB port it is connected to
> a modem that provides Internet connectivity. The WiFi interface currently
> acts as an access point for the home network. I am planning to add a
> printer via one of the Ethernet ports so it is available to other devices
> connected to the network.
>
> Then there is the second machine with identical hardware to the first one.
> I also installed FreedomBox 20.7 on it. This machine is located at the
> opposite corner of my apartment to the first machine and it can't connect
> via Ethernet to the first machine. I want to add this second machine to the
> same WiFi home network and for it to also serve as an access point for
> other wireless devices (it does not have to be a DHCP server).
>
> How do I achieve this wireless connection between the two FreedomBoxes?
>
> Would that be a mesh network? I attempted to follow instructions for
> creating and joining a mesh network available at the Debian Wiki [1], but
> to no avail: after creating a wireless connection in the ad-hoc mode in the
> 1st step, there is no bat0 interface to use for the 2nd step. Do I have to
> install Debian's batmand package first and configure it on my own?

I have seen the posting.
And I see the good questions and the interresting challenge.

But I can't tell what a safe bet would be. ( "Classic wifi" of "mesh" )

Please pursuit the idea  because you will learn a lot.

Feel free to do  follow-up messages.  It is OK to spar[2] with us.

Request and/or advice:  Give all the devices a name.  ( "hostname" )
Use the device name  in future posting in this thread.

Groeten
Geert Stappers

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual/Networks
[2] training method  in  boxing and material arts
--
Silence is hard to parse