[Freedombox-discuss] OpenVPN slow

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Wed Jun 24 09:58:33 BST 2020

Hello Sunil and others,

Thanks for your help!

Op 23-06-2020 om 20:58 schreef Sunil Mohan Adapa:
> On 23/06/20 7:09 am, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have installed an OpenVPN client on the Freedombox (hardware from
>> Olimex), using the commandline. All traffic from eth1 (homenetwork) goes
>> to an OpenVPN server in an virutal machine on the internet.  Download is
>> about 20 Mbit/s.
>>
>> client  ---- freedombox --- internet --- openvpnserver --- internet
>>
>> But when I run OpenVPN on the client and not at the Freedombox, I get
>> over 80 Mbit/s download.
>>
>> Do you have any idea why it is so slow running OpenVPN on the
>> Freedombox?  Is there maybe some kind of limit for processes?
>> When I look at top during the test, the load is about 0.48. So not high.
>
> There are no limits on processes we setup in FreedomBox. I can only
> think of decryption overhead. What is the CPU usage during this transfer
> for the openvpn process? If it is using a single core, we can expect CPU
> bottle-necked at 50%.

It's an Olimex Lime2 revison G2.

I see an high load of the proces OpenVPN, between 70-98 percent while
doing a test. So this looks-like encryption/decryption overhead. I am
wondering about that.

The CPU has 2 cores, and they are for a big part idle. The load avarage
is not high. There is enough memory, I don't see swapping.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis

cat /proc/cpuinfo:
--------
processor	: 0
model name	: ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 50.52
Features	: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4
idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x0
CPU part	: 0xc07
CPU revision	: 4

processor	: 1
model name	: ARMv7 Processor rev 4 (v7l)
BogoMIPS	: 50.52
Features	: half thumb fastmult vfp edsp thumbee neon vfpv3 tls vfpv4
idiva idivt vfpd32 lpae evtstrm
CPU implementer	: 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant	: 0x0