[Freedombox-discuss] Request for Comments: Agenda Items for 2020 Summit

hjenkins hjenkins at uvic.ca
Thu Nov 26 02:30:30 GMT 2020

I agree on the need for multiperson videoconference hosting in
Freedombox. Though, as Jonas Smedegaard says, the hardware demands may
be beyond many freedomboxes, as far as I know there is no max-spec for
which Freedombox is designed. The platforms hosted by Debian Social
(https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianSocial/) do make a decent package
wishlist.

Jami just (as of October 16th) turned into videoconferencing server
software. It still does peer-to-peer, too. Separately, there is a new
"Jami Account Management Server", which does e-mail style distributed
addressing. It seems to me that these changes put it in-scope for
Freedombox. The October Jami release is not yet in Debian, but the last
two versions are in sid and stable. Jami focusses on low hardware and
bandwidth requirements, so might be a better fit than Jitsi.
https://jami.net/together-the-new-version-of-jami-and-a-new-step-forward/

On https://www.freedombox.org/, it currently states:
"FreedomBox provides a secure, decentralized replacement for WhatsApp.
Do group chats and audio/video calls from any device."
I think this refers to XMPP, which can be made to do these, sometimes.
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Introduction has a more up-to-date
version of the leading screenshot, too.

And now to answer to Fioddor Superconcentrado's broader point. I think
there is a large user group that wants a stable, secure, low-maintenance
server. A fast-moving all-the-latest-gadgets server is frankly a pain in
the neck, not just to package maintainers but to the server admin and
the end users. Most people are a lot less interested in server
maintenance than anyone on this list. No objection to a multitiered
contribs/non-free/Yunohost-ports setup, but it should remain possible to
run Freedombox as a Debian Pure blend.

Debian's twin focus on freedom and stability is not co-incidence. They
are interdependent. I cannot see any technical reason why
videoconferencing could not have stable standards; it's a good goal.
There seems likewise no reason why an e-mail or filesharing or Mumble or
IRC server should need frequent (non-security) updates. A website should
generally need such updates only for new content; you should not be
running to stand still. Tellingly, browsers now brag of their ability to
turn off web features for privacy and security. I'm not arguing against
change here. Just no widespread "break everything and redo from start"
change without very good reason.

Anyone who has looked at, say, Android or HTML5 knows that some changes
are not in users' interests. Changes "to gather more user data", "to
implement DRM", or "because we can't make independent decisions, and
[power-holder] required it" aren't features you can sell to endusers.
But unfree alternatives are frequently marketed on fashion, not
features. Fashions are easier to manufacture: "We aren't like the bad
old competitor! Pay no attention to our similar potential for
surveillance and manipulation. Our new product is the latest modern
space where all the cool people are. If you don't use our product,
you're outdated and you've fallen behind the times. Your friends and
potential customers will hold you in contempt for your stodgy prudish
fussy old-fashionedness. Everyone else is doing it". This is the
software equivalent of "You might think you want a robust, durable
smartphone with USB ports, good ergonomics and long battery life, but
really you want a tiny wafer phone that eats batteries, breaks if you
drop it, and regularly costs you hundreds in replacement parts and
proprietary connectors, because it is fashionable". Marketing tech by
playing on fears of being outdated is clever targetting. But no-one can
adopt everything new, and our adoption criteria need to be better than
fashion.

Less-free alternatives are legitimately marketed on ease and
convenience. Freedombox is basically an attempt to make self-hosting
easy and convenient. Freedombox is what every software start-up wishes
to be perceived as: independent, private, ad-free, democratic,
user-controlled, in a political and legal structure which keeps it that
way. We could point this out, and satirize fashion-shaming social-trap
marketing. But we are better than fashionable; we have features. Thanks
to everyone who's added them!