[Freedombox-discuss] Element (matrix-synapse client) problems. More info, pointing to server.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 28 19:30:13 BST 2020

On Sun, Sep 27, 2020 at 05:17:37PM -0400, A. F. Cano wrote:
> I have tried to create a new room and I get this:
>
> Failure to create room
> Server may be unavailable, overloaded, or you hit a bug.
>
> How can I get rid of the "Connectivity to server has been lost." error?
> This might be the problem, but like I said, existing users in an
> existing room can still use video conferencing.  Weird...

In the attempt to solve this problem, I have now installed Quaternion,
another client app.  Once I enter the Matrix ID:
@<user>:<sub-domain>.freedombox.rocks

where <user> is the user I have added to the FreedomBox for matrix use
(non-admin), <sub-domain> is the sub-domain I registered with the keepers of
freedombox.rocks.

the password I created for said account, and the server:

https://<sub-domain>.freedombox.rocks

after a few seconds it comes back with "Host unreachable".  I can ping
the FreedomBox just fine in all these ways:

ping <local host name>
ping <local host name>.local
ping <sub-domain>.freedombox.rocks

I have restarted matrix-synapse on the FreedomBox but that doesn't
change anything:

sudo /etc/init.d/matrix-synapse restart

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?  What can I try to
narrow down this problem?
Thanks.

Augustine