[Freedombox-discuss] [GSoC21] Interest in FreedomBox email project

hjenkins hjenkins at uvic.ca
Wed Apr 14 00:30:36 BST 2021

As of a year ago, Tutanota, a privacy-focussed e-mail service, said:
"The only issue that's left for us to do is to open source the server
part of Tutanota as well. We plan to develop a small, open source server
for personal and business use that can be set up easily. As this needs a
lot of development effort, we can't give an exact estimate as to when
this feature will be released, but it is definitely on our to-do list."
-https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/open-source-email/

They use the GPLv3 for their existing open-source client software. So
this sounds like it might be compatible with FreedomBox. On the other
hand, Tutanota sells freemium e-mail accounts, and I fear one can't
really expect people to spend money developing software that might
compete with themselves, however well it might align with their
principles.

But it is possible that Tutanota may have code they could contribute, or
otherwise be interested in collaboration; I've CC'd their sales-contact
address on this e-mail.