[Freedombox-discuss] Web interface can; 't enable dynamic DNS, command line ok, after stopping.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 14 18:32:55 GMT 2021

Hi,

I checked the status of dynamic dns for no reason and it was disbled.
Not sure when that happened, when I last set it, via command line it was
ok.  Maybe during the 21.15 upgrade.

I tried to enable it via the web interface, clicking the Enable Dynamic
DNS button repeatedly and it never took.  Every subsequent check of
Status and Configure showed the button disabled and no last update.

Then I tried to set it via command line:

$ sudo /usr/share/plinth/actions/dynamicdns status
[sudo] password for <user>:
disabled
ddns.freedombox.org
<domain>.freedombox.rocks
<domain>
<password>
https://ddns.freedombox.org/ip/
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
$ sudo /usr/share/plinth/actions/dynamicdns start
$ sudo /usr/share/plinth/actions/dynamicdns status
disabled
ddns.freedombox.org
<domain>.freedombox.rocks
<domain>
<password>
https://ddns.freedombox.org/ip/
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
$ sudo /usr/share/plinth/actions/dynamicdns stop
Stopping Dynamic DNS client: ez-ipupdatestart-stop-daemon: warning: failed to kill 254800: No such process
.
cat: /var/run/ez-ipupdate.pid: No such file or directory
$ sudo /usr/share/plinth/actions/dynamicdns status
disabled
ddns.freedombox.org
<domain>.freedombox.rocks
<domain>
<password>
https://ddns.freedombox.org/ip/
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled
$ sudo /usr/share/plinth/actions/dynamicdns start
Starting Dynamic DNS client: ez-ipupdatewarning: this service does not support the wildcard option
 ez-ipupdate.
$ sudo /usr/share/plinth/actions/dynamicdns status
enabled
ddns.freedombox.org
<domain>.freedombox.rocks
<domain>
<password>
https://ddns.freedombox.org/ip/
disabled
disabled
disabled
disabled

As can be seen, it eventually worked, but not before a manual stop.  Not
sure why the process that was supposed to be killed wasn't there, or why
the start without a previous stop did nothing.

This is on a recently installed FreedomBox stable with a minimal set of
services enabled and configured manually and no restore from the
previous (testing) one that had developed multiple problems.

Augustine