[Freedombox-discuss] Cannot connect to radicale from phones after installing new image.

spectral spectral at sonic.net
Mon Dec 20 15:47:58 GMT 2021

On Sun, 2021-12-19 at 22:02 -0500, A. F. Cano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This used to work with the old image (testing), but then I created a
> new
> image (stable).  The kde software had no problems (Kaddressbook and
> Korganizer) on multiple computers, but the 2 phones that used to work
> now
> can't connect.
>
> At first I got
>
> javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException:
> javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException:
>
> This page:
>
> https://www.freshbytelabs.com/2018/09/how-to-solve-sslhandshakeexception-in.html
>
> says it's an incompatible version of the protocol, but it used to
> work.
>
> Then, per some other page that advised to delete the local user and
> re-create it, i did so.
>
> Originally I entered (into DAVDroid) with the "Login with URL and
> user
> name" option:

> user name <user>
> password: <password>
>
> and it worked.  Now I get a popup on the phone that says:
>
> Configuration Detection
> Couldn't find CalDAV or CardDAV service.
> View logs       ok
>
> In the log files, down a few lines, I see the dreaded
> SSLHandshakeException.
>
> The directories on the FreedomBox are addressbook.vcf and
> calendar.ics,
> under /var/lib/radicale/collections/collection-root/<user>.
>
> The phones are running android 4.2.2 and DAVDroid.  The new DAVx
> can't
> run on these old systems, but DADDroid used to work just fine.
>
> Can someone suggest what might have changed?  Is this s case of the
> protocols on the FreedomBox being upgraded and the older version on
> the
> phones not being able to connect? If so, is there a way to tell the
> Freedombox to use the older protocols?
>
> I'm trying to upgrade the phones, but android is so locked up in the
> more modern one that there appears to be no path to upgrade, the
> other
> one runs an old version of Cyanogenmod but this one being my main
> phone,
> I really don't want to upgrade it until I have the other one working.
>
> When I first configured DavDroid on the newer phone, it transfered
> everything from the radicale server, but now that I deleted the local
> user, there's nothing there anymore.
>
> On the older phone attempting to synchonize gives the error:
>
> Service Detection Failed
> Couldn't refresh collection list
>
> WIth the same error messages described above.
>
> Any hints will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

FreedomBox 21.9 (2021-09-18) removed support for SSLv3, TLSv1 and
TLSv1.1.

https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/ReleaseNotes#FreedomBox_21.9_.282021-09-18.29

After upgrading to 21.9, I also found my tt-rss Android client (1.301-
fdroid) stopped working (SSLProtocolException:SSL handshake) on my
old phone frozen in time at Android 4.3.  I think older phones stuck at
older versions of Android are just out of luck.