[Freedombox-discuss] update fork branch

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Fri Jun 25 21:45:17 BST 2021

On vrijdag 25 juni 2021 21:40:18 CEST James Valleroy wrote:
> This will likely result in a merge commit that does not exist in
> upstream/master.

That depends (as usual) ...
If the development/MR was done from master, then you'd be correct.

> reset my local master branch to upstream/master.

Sharing *how* would be useful for users less familiar with git ;-)

> And try to do work in feature branches / bugfix branches,
> rather than on master itself.

I assumed that git best practice was used and development of the MR was done
from a feature/bugfix branch, hence the 'git checkout master' step.

https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/freedombox/-/merge_requests/2065
"Request to merge zani0x03:issue-1986 into master" would suggest that that was
indeed done, assuming that was the MR Tiago talked about.

To prevent an unwanted merge commit, you can use 'git merge --ff-only' which
will fail if a merge commit would be needed for the merge.

Cheers,
  Diederik