[Freedombox-discuss] Is there some mailing list that discusses matrix clients, specifically element desktop?

Joseph Nuthalapati njoseph at riseup.net
Sat May 15 05:01:56 BST 2021

On 14/05/21 1:43 am, A. F. Cano wrote:
> hi,
>
> I've been using Element desktop successfully for months with my
> FreedomBox-based Matrix-synapse server.  Since last week I get
> no video and can't connect to any room.  The camera is known though, if
> I click on the ^ of the video icon, I see the picture from the camera
> but both the camera and microphone have a slash through them.  Every few
> seconds it sys "you have been disconnected".  Nothing that I've tried
> gets rid of the problem.  At the top of the video field it says
> $roomName and next to that AUD (no video), then room name gets replaced
> by "Jitsi Conference Bashful Strange Cheese".  If I hang up (red phone
> icon inside the video field), get out of jitsi and click on the camera
> icon at the top, it says "Call in Progress  A call is currently being
> placed!" which is obviously not true.  Rebooting the FreedomBox and the
> computer that runs Element Desktop have no effect.  Element got upgraded
> to 1.7.27 but the problem occurred even before that.  Text chat works
> fine.  Any suggestions?
>
> I've been looking and looking for a users/support mailing list for
> Element desktop and have found nothing.  Can someone point me to one?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Augustine

Hi Augustine,

There doesn't seem to be a dedicated Matrix room for Element desktop. I
only found this general support email: support at element.io

Troubleshooting:

Server:

   As mentioned in the manual[1], Element handles audio/video calling
for rooms with one-to-one conversations (a.k.a Direct Messages in the
mobile app) and with rooms with larger groups differently. It uses the
configured STUN/TURN server for the former and a Jitsi Meet server for
the latter (default server: jitsi.riot.im). It is worth checking both
the cases. Fixing the former case is within your control - check whether
the Coturn app is running on your FreedomBox. Configuring your Matrix
Synapse installation to use a different Jitsi Meet server is not yet
implemented in FreedomBox (issue #2064).

Client:

   It could also be a client issue. One way of figuring this out is to
install a previous version of Element desktop and see if the problem
still exists. I don't use Element desktop myself, but I believe it's an
Electron-based application (basically a Chromium browser running a
single web app). It's possible that the application no longer has the
permission to access your camera.

   Another way of making sure that it's a client issue is to use try
using app.element.io in your browser. Give it permission to access your
camera when prompted.

   This is less likely, but maybe your camera is not working anymore.
Test this with a camera app e.g. Cheese on Debian.

1.
https://wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Manual/MatrixSynapse#Setting_up_Audio.2FVideo_calls

--
Regards,