[Freedombox-discuss] UPDATE: part of problem automagically got fixed. Re BIND not working,

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Sat May 22 00:39:41 BST 2021

well, I spoke too soon.

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 04:08:58PM -0400, I said:
> Which makes sense, and in combination with the /etc/hosts file I added to
> the FreedomBox with entries like this:
>
> 192.168.224.10  <computer-name>.local     <computer-name>
>
> now this computer on the 224 sub-net gets allocated that address.
> Great!  That's what I wanted all along.

This is not true.  I tried with another computer and it got allocated
192.168.224.178, not 192.168.224.19 which is what's in the /etc/hosts
file.  The other computer had a manual entry in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/Wired connection 1.  I might
have entered this in the past, or NM might have picked it up from
somewhere, but without this manual entry, it appears that dnsmasq on
the FreedomBox just allocates a random IP number from the range specified.

Is there a way to make dnsmasq use the /etc/hosts file on the
FreedomBox?

Not surprisingly...

> These old problems still persist.

> > ping by internal IP works, even from one subnet to the other.
> >
> > ssh to the FreedomBox works (by IP number).
> >
> > ssh to a machine on the other subnet (by IP number) doesn't work
> > (no route to host).  Does this mean that the firewall needs to be opened
> > between the 2 internal networks?
> >
> > ping by machine name doesn't work
> > (ping: <internal hostname> Name or service not known)
> >
> > ssh by machine name doesn't work
> > (ssh could not resolve hostname <internal hostname>: Name or service not known)

Do I need to add some manual configuration?  It really looks like
internal DNS is not working or configured.

Any hints still gratefully appreciated.

Augustine