[Freedombox-discuss] UPDATE: After latest reboot dnsmasq no longer starts on any interface.

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Sun Oct 17 06:24:17 BST 2021

On 10/16/21 10:25, A. F. Cano wrote:
[...]
> $ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
> Restarting networking (via systemctl): networking.service.

Network Manager, I believe, has some complex logic to ensure that
restarting it does not terminate all remote connections. That could
explain why you didn't see any effect.

[...]
> Ok, so this seems to have worked.

Reboot a few times perhaps to ensure that fix indeed is working.

[...]
> I've just checked the BIND option of FreedomBox and now the option is
> not enabled (the button is grey).  I have not explicitly disabled it,
> has this been done automatically by the
>
> $ sudo systemctl mask named.service

`systemctl disable named.service` will actually disable the BIND app
(and vice versa). But 'mask' is stronger. Attempts to enable the app
won't work and service won't be started as a dependency of another
service, etc. If you ever wish to use BIND again in future, remember to
'unmask' it first.

> command? My reasoning for enabling the BIND option was that I wanted to
> handle the internal dns and dhcp requests locally on the FreedomBox, but
> it appears that dnsmasq and named are incompatible.

Fixing this has been on my TODO list for while now. Currently busy
working on email server.

> For quite a while now I've had the cable modem configured as a bridge.
>
> I'm still not sure what additional configuration I need to do to have
> the FreedomBox handle dns requests from the internal machines.  Now that
> thd BIND option is disabled, are all dns requests, including the local
> ones, leaking out to the internet?

Unfortunately, that's what this means.

> After the mask command above, the BIND option cannot be enabled.
>
> Like I've said before, it would be nice to have a centralized /etc/hosts
> on the FreedomBox that would direct FreedomBox DNS to resolve all
> internal queries, but this seems to be incompatible with running
> dnsmasq, or could dnsmasq handle this with some additional
> configuration? If so, what configuration?

I don't know if dnsmasq can do this but if it can, then the one that is
spawned by Network Manager can be configured using a little trick[1]
(just note the configuration file and write your own configuration in
there).

[...]
> And thank you for your work on FreedomBox.  It has become indespensable
> to me.

Thank you for the detailed reports you have been sending. I don't always
get the time to get involved in them but I hope to as much as I can.
Keep them coming.

Links:

1)
https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/FreedomBox_for_Communities/Network_Configuration#Configuring_DHCP_Leases_and_Range