[Freedombox-discuss] Any FreedomBox app that can do video conferencing, beside matrix?

James Valleroy jvalleroy at mailbox.org
Sat Apr 9 20:21:19 BST 2022

On 2/22/22 16:52, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2022-01-15 14:16:11)
>> Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2022-01-15 12:15:49)
>>> [Jonas Smedegaard]
>>>
>>> Can you recommend a recipe for this?
>>
>>   1a) sudo apt install apache2
>>   1b) setup apache2 TLS certificate handling
>>   2a) sudo apt install coturn
>>   2b) setup coturn TLS certificate handling
>>   2c) setup coturn access rights
>>   3a) sudo apt install janus
>>   3b) setup janus TLS certificate handling
>>   3c) setup janus to bind https and wss only to loopback interface
>>   3d) setup apache2 vhost reverse proxying https and wss for janus
>>   4a) (enable contrib packages, and) sudo apt install janus-demos
>>   4b) setup apache2 vhost serving contents of janus-demos
>>
>> Steps 1* and 2* might already be done adequately on FreedomBox (but
>> possibly not 2c).
>
> Package janus-demos is now in main, so step 4a) no longer involve
> installing contrib packages: Entered unstable 15 minutes ago, and when
> it reaches testing I will release it to bullseye-backports as well.
>
> It is still quite helpful if some of you can try follow the above steps
> and provide feedback on them.
>
> I am working on packaging Jangouts - https://bugs.debian.org/1005877 -
> for a more decent looking interface for Janus than janus-demos.
>
> By the way: I noticed recent activity packaging owncast, mentioning it
> being targeted inclusion with FreedomBox.  Janus can also function as
> backend for extremely lightweight video streaming.  I recently packaged
> simple-whip-client and simple-whip-server to simplify that, which I am
> currently waiting for approval to release to bullseye-backports as well.

I was able to get janus and janus-demos working on FreedomBox, and I
have a draft merge request [1] with the changes, if anyone wants to test
it. It includes the apache configuration, and changes needed in
/usr/share/janus/demos/config.js to get the demos to connect to local
coturn server.

Before the MR is ready to merge, I expect we will need to replace
janus-demos with something meant for end-users. Perhaps for now, we can
create a simple web page that re-uses scripts from janus-demos. Then we
can switch to Jangouts when it is packaged.

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/freedombox-team/freedombox/-/merge_requests/2207