[Freedombox-discuss] Any FreedomBox app that can do video conferencing, beside matrix?

Jonas Smedegaard jonas at jones.dk
Tue Feb 22 21:52:28 GMT 2022

Quoting Jonas Smedegaard (2022-01-15 14:16:11)
> Quoting Petter Reinholdtsen (2022-01-15 12:15:49)
> > [Jonas Smedegaard]
> > > An alternative in Debian and possible to add to FreedomBox is
> > > janus, but that requires more work (little bit for same interface
> > > as author's live demo at
> > > https://janus.conf.meetecho.com/videoroomtest.html - more work
> > > mainly on web-design for a more polished experience).  I maintain
> > > janus in Debian and would love help improving its off-the-shelf
> > > usability.
> >
> > Can you recommend a recipe for this?
>
>  1a) sudo apt install apache2
>  1b) setup apache2 TLS certificate handling
>  2a) sudo apt install coturn
>  2b) setup coturn TLS certificate handling
>  2c) setup coturn access rights
>  3a) sudo apt install janus
>  3b) setup janus TLS certificate handling
>  3c) setup janus to bind https and wss only to loopback interface
>  3d) setup apache2 vhost reverse proxying https and wss for janus
>  4a) (enable contrib packages, and) sudo apt install janus-demos
>  4b) setup apache2 vhost serving contents of janus-demos
>
> Steps 1* and 2* might already be done adequately on FreedomBox (but
> possibly not 2c).

Package janus-demos is now in main, so step 4a) no longer involve
installing contrib packages: Entered unstable 15 minutes ago, and when
it reaches testing I will release it to bullseye-backports as well.

It is still quite helpful if some of you can try follow the above steps
and provide feedback on them.

I am working on packaging Jangouts - https://bugs.debian.org/1005877 -
for a more decent looking interface for Janus than janus-demos.

By the way: I noticed recent activity packaging owncast, mentioning it
being targeted inclusion with FreedomBox.  Janus can also function as
backend for extremely lightweight video streaming.  I recently packaged
simple-whip-client and simple-whip-server to simplify that, which I am
currently waiting for approval to release to bullseye-backports as well.