[Freedombox-discuss] Preventing auto-reboots and auto-updates?

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Mar 9 23:48:28 GMT 2023

> On my dedicated Freedombox (Pioneer Edition) on version 23.4, the
> checkbox is unchecked when the page refreshes with the green "Automatic
> upgrades disabled" message.
>
> I think the checkbox is set based on the contents of
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades.  With the box checked I see a
> value of "1", and with the box unchecked a value of "0".  Could
> something be interfering with plinth updating this file on your system?

Apparently so, yes.

> This is what I see in the file with updates enabled (checkbox checked):
>
> zeppo at freedombox:~$ sudo cat /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades
> APT::Periodic::Update-Package-Lists "1";
> APT::Periodic::Unattended-Upgrade "1";

This file is correctly updated, it seems.  But more importantly it did
point me to /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/60unattended-upgrades where I found the
setting that causes reboots.

I think I have that setting corrected now, so it shouldn't reboot
automatically any more (and it will still update automatically, which
is probably better anyway, tho I tend to run updates manually quite
frequently anyway, as a way to procrastinate :-).

Thanks,

        Stefan