[Freedombox-discuss] Backups stopped working. Where are the logs? How do I debug this?

Sunil Mohan Adapa sunil at medhas.org
Fri Oct 13 00:31:51 BST 2023

On 10/11/23 13:21, A. F. Cano wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the notifications I see this:
>
> Backups
> Error During Backup
> A scheduled backup failed. Past 56 attempts for backup did not succeed. The latest error is: [Errno 17] File exists: b''
>
> This is a remote backup that has been working for a long time, on the
> primary/production FreedomBox (apu1d4).
>
> I have no idea what changed, except possibly an upgrade.  There is no
> file: "b" anywhere in ~/backups/fbx on the remote machine.
>
> $ ls -R ~/backups/fbx
> /home/afc/backups/fbx:
> config  data/  hints.4001  index.4001  integrity.4001  README
>
> /home/afc/backups/fbx/data:
> 0/  1/  2/  3/  4/
>
> and under each of these, files with names ?001-?999.
>
> 4 had 4001 and 4002 only.
>
> How do I begin to debug this?  There appears to be no log file in
> /var/log and I haven't found anything in /var/log/messages.

You are looking at a borg repository. The borg backup tool stores all
the backed up files in an efficient way (data is de-duplicated
automatically). If you wish to interact with this repository, use the
'borg' command. You can extract one or more files from the backups and
list the existing backups. See 'man borg' for more information.

If you are facing an error during automated backups, you will likely
face the same error during backup to the same repository. Run a manual
backup and collect the logs using 'journalctl -u plinth'. Post them and
we can try to analyze the problem.

--
Sunil