[Freedombox-discuss] Adding bridge (via cockpit) between internal networks makes FreedomBox unreachable.

A. F. Cano afc54 at comcast.net
Tue Sep 19 21:47:09 BST 2023

Hi,

I had tried this quite some time ago and it totally disabled my
production FreedomBox.  I had to start from scratch by creating a
new image.

Now that I have a testing FreedomBox, I tried again.

FreedomBox testing on an APU2.  2 computers connected to the 2 internal
networks/interfaces: 10.42.0.x and 10.42.1.x.  Both computers got DHCP
addresses: 10.42.0.201 and 10.42.1.208.

Everything was working fine until I started cockpit -> Networking and
selected "Add Bridge", then selected the 2 internal interfaces.  The
process seems to have gotten stuck and then the FreedomBox itself was
not accessible any longer at 10.42.0.1 by either the browser or ssh (no
route to host).

Pulled the plug, mounted the SD card in another computer and moved out
/etc/NetworkManager/bridge0.nmconnection, whose contents is:

[connection]
id=bridge0
uuid=2fd2bd7f-8bd8-4035-a790-fa8b8e92678f
type=bridge
autoconnect-slaves=1
interface-name=bridge0

[ethernet]

[bridge]
stp=false

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=default
method=auto

[proxy]

But that didn't make any difference, the FreedomBox is still
inaccessible.  Not even arp-scan gets a reply out of it.

Had to go back and remove from the NetworkManager files for both
internal interfaces the following:

master=bridge0
slave-type=bridge

[bridge-port]

and added this:

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=default
method=auto

[proxy]

Now I think this brings back the original configuration.  But it didn't
make any difference.  The FreedomBox is still completely inaccessible,
even after rebooting the computer connected to it and the FreedomBox
itself.

Unless someone can tell me what else to change, it looks like the only
option I have left is to re-flash with a brand new image.  This is a
serious problem.

Thsnks for any help.

Augustine