[Fsf-Debian] Who gets to say what the definition of “Debian” is?

Ben Finney ben+debian at benfinney.id.au
Sun Aug 5 13:10:39 UTC 2012

Michael Gilbert <mgilbert at debian.org> writes:

> Actually, only Debian "main" is intended to be 100% dfsg-free
> software.

Intended by who? Not by someone who agrees with the Debian project's
social contract:

    1. Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software
       We promise to keep the Debian GNU/Linux Distribution entirely free
       software.

> The entire composition of Debian "the system" is up to individual
> users/developers/volunteers and how they choose to compose their
> particular parts of the whole.

Yes, what people install additional to Debian is up to them. But that
doesn't mean the result is “Debian the system” any more.

--
 \     “This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending |
  `\      the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the |