[Fsf-Debian] Firefighting in this forum

Paul van der Vlis paul at vandervlis.nl
Wed Aug 8 09:00:30 UTC 2012

Op 08-08-12 04:13, Ben Finney schreef:
> Bryan Baldwin <bryan at katofiad.co.nz> writes:
>
>> Thats just plain rubbish. There were no sweeping statements, the
>> subject and object of my criticisms are specific. In lieu of outright
>> refusal to acknowledge the critic, this is an example of stalling
>> honest dialog with bureaucratic nonsense and pedantry. Another problem
>> with Debian that shouldn't get the opportunity to be exported.
>
> Your many messages in this forum are overwhelmingly dismissive of points
> of view you disagree with, allowing no compromise. This is hostile to a
> forum specifically set up to find compromise.
>
> You also exhibit a tendency to depict the Debian project as irredeemably
> awful and deserving of ostracism, on the basis of principles and
> procedures that are central to the operation of the project. This
> implies that only a complete transformation of the Debian project would
> satisfy you.
>
> I don't know your true attitudes, but unless your intention is to
> inflame and polarise discussion, your communications so far have been
> counterproductive.
>
> I appeal to you to consider why you're participating here and whether
> you are helping or hurting your goal by communicating in this
> inflammatory us-versus-them way; and I appeal to others here to consider
> how much energy to expend on firefighting.

For me discussing in English is difficult, so maybe I don't understand
everthing 100%.

But I would like to say that I've seen very constructive texts from
Bryan. Look at this e.g.:
------
Colocation could be done in such a way that the free and nonfree
packages aren't part of the same structure. Which is to say I think
one should have to navigate to a different URL, whether served by the
same hardware or not, in order to browse the nonfree packages, bug
reports, et al. Behind the scenes needs to mean completely behind the
scenes, where the Debian nomenclature and anything nonfree never
appear together on screen, whether the maintainers continue working
transparently with each other or not.

Maybe that didn't land as close as you might hope to your idea of
ideal, but I trust it was neither light nor bashing.
-----

Not sure I agree completely with him, and it's possible that he does not
agree with his own text when he thinks it over. But it is very constructive.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl